Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
2,040
Likes
4
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#1
What do you guys think about the Atkins Low Carb diet??? Pros and Cons...
 
9

9cyclops9

Guest
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#3
Fad diets are no good. That's why they are FADS. People eventually realize it's no good and it "goes out of style."
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
2,040
Likes
4
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#4
Ive met 3 people who have lost from 20-90 pounds from this diet...
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
716
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#6
how long have they been off the diet? Watch it come back when they stop. If they keep going they'll die of heart disease because fad diets are unhealthy.
 
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
780
Likes
0
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#7
Atkins works to lose weight. That said, one has to be aware of what they are substituting with the high carb foods that they will normally eat. Furthermore, weight will be gained back if the diet is not kept in moderation, once you are through.

Personally, I am very conscious of carbs - and more often than not - it is not elimination, but rather consolidation. I choose to eat healthy carbs in moderation. I've been able to keep and maintain the body I want for the past 3 years doing this. Though the food costs a bit more and I sometimes get ridiculed by friends (jokingly), it is worth it.
 

Super

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
8,320
Likes
44
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#8
Well you know How I feel about this subject
 

Super

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
8,320
Likes
44
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#10
I hate those MF's diets! Eat all you want and workout hard core 5 days a week! That is all you have to do
 
9

9cyclops9

Guest
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#11
BeBobBox said:
Ive met 3 people who have lost from 20-90 pounds from this diet...
So what? Who cares? That doesn't make it a good diet. That makes it a quick weight loss program. The bottom line is it is EXTREMELY bad for you. If people would just eat RIGHT in the first place, we wouldn't have this fat, lazy, sick, etc. population of people in the US. People are lazy and don't want to eat well, they just want McDonalds and 3 Musketeers. And they get what they deserve IMO. They're FAT and SICK. The best way to lose weight AND get healthy is simply to eat healthy food and exercise. Bottom line.

Sure if you want to lose weight and stay unhealthy, then yeah, Atkins diet is wonderful! Woohoo! You're skinny now, and just as unhealthy, or even more unhealthy than you were before. You've managed to live up to society's weight standard. Congrats. But I guarantee you'll be sick as a dog.

"Food" for thought.
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
1,373
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#12
9cyclops9 said:
So what? Who cares? That doesn't make it a good diet. That makes it a quick weight loss program. The bottom line is it is EXTREMELY bad for you. If people would just eat RIGHT in the first place, we wouldn't have this fat, lazy, sick, etc. population of people in the US. People are lazy and don't want to eat well, they just want McDonalds and 3 Musketeers. And they get what they deserve IMO. They're FAT and SICK. The best way to lose weight AND get healthy is simply to eat healthy food and exercise. Bottom line.

Sure if you want to lose weight and stay unhealthy, then yeah, Atkins diet is wonderful! Woohoo! You're skinny now, and just as unhealthy, or even more unhealthy than you were before. You've managed to live up to society's weight standard. Congrats. But I guarantee you'll be sick as a dog.

"Food" for thought.
What exactly is so bad about the atkins diet?
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
223
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#13
What's bad about the Atkins diet is that it's a quick-fix for people who have been eating an unhealthy diet most of their lives. A diet is simply what you consume everyday. Everybody has a 'diet'. But diet has now become synonymous with weight loss, and less of a learning of the proper foods you should be eating for a life-time.

Carbs are just the newest boogie-man of the diet world. I would bet my house that I eat more carbs than anyone on this message board and have been for years. Yet, I'm about 120 lbs, 5'3", pretty much the same size for the past 25 years. However, along with those carbs, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, and very little, if any, meat. And the carbs I eat are whole-grain breads, rice, etc.

After you lose your 25-50 lbs on the Atkins, what have you learned about eating a healthy diet for the rest of your life? You'd be better off learning what to eat to keep you healthy for a life-time, than to lose some weight in the short term.
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
716
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#14
The Atkins diet was also made for people who are too lazy to exercise.
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
1,373
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#15
jGman said:
What's bad about the Atkins diet is that it's a quick-fix for people who have been eating an unhealthy diet most of their lives. A diet is simply what you consume everyday. Everybody has a 'diet'. But diet has now become synonymous with weight loss, and less of a learning of the proper foods you should be eating for a life-time.

Carbs are just the newest boogie-man of the diet world. I would bet my house that I eat more carbs than anyone on this message board and have been for years. Yet, I'm about 120 lbs, 5'3", pretty much the same size for the past 25 years. However, along with those carbs, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, and very little, if any, meat. And the carbs I eat are whole-grain breads, rice, etc.

After you lose your 25-50 lbs on the Atkins, what have you learned about eating a healthy diet for the rest of your life? You'd be better off learning what to eat to keep you healthy for a life-time, than to lose some weight in the short term.
The bottom line is how many calories you take in. However, if I were to suddenly start eating more carbs and less protein and fat in my diet, I would lose muscle.

The more muscle you have, the more you can eat without getting fat. You have a higher metabolic rate if you have a higher muscle mass.

Atkins doesn't condemn carbs, only carbs that produce a high insulin spike, which is not good for anyone.

Insulin does what? It drives glucose and needed nutrients into the
cells, including fat cells, AND it stops lipolysis (fat burning).

Oh, and white rice produces nearly the same insulin spike as pure sugar.
 
Joined
Jun 8, 2003
Messages
134
Likes
1
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#16
I don't understand why there's a lot of anger with Atkins diet.
For some reason you don't get people getting angry about the general terrible diets in The UK and USA.

There's more deaths attributable to our conventional way of eating than anything else in the western world...yet people get angry with the Atkins diet.

It's not a fad, it's been around for 30 or 40 years. Before that low carb diets were even around at the start of the 20th century.

Why is it so bad?
What do you think people were eating before things like bread and sugar were discovered?
There was a time when most diets consisted of just meat, fruit, and the vegetables that were aroundavailable at the time.
In the 20th century we suddenly had mass production of all the processed carb foods that are a main factor to death in the western world.

So Atkins is a quick fix?....Good.
People can then just get rid of the fat they want, THEN concentrate on tailoring a good diet that is tailored to what they want to do.

There's not just Atkins, there's other low carb diets around, like Keto diets that are similar, and people may want to read about.
If people are concerned about putting too much fat into their bodies, then you can just make sure that thetype of fats you take in are of the healthy kind.
The Atkins diet is supposed to gradually introduce more healthy carbs into your diet as soon as you approach your goal weight.

The only reason why I don't want to go on Atkins diet is because a Keto diet sounds more useful to me, as I work out and want to preserve as much muscle mass as I can when I go on a cutting cycle for a few weeks.

There's so much scaremongering in the media about Atkins. But it's more based on people worrying about what MIGHT happen.
It's amazing that people don't get as worked up at putting all sorts of shite into their body by eating all sorts of junk that they don't even know what is doing to them.

If anything starts going wrong with Atkins, like you don't feel too good, or your cholestorol levels are too high,...you can always stop it. It's not going to kill you as soon as you start it.
 
9

9cyclops9

Guest
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#17
philadelph said:
The bottom line is how many calories you take in. However, if I were to suddenly start eating more carbs and less protein and fat in my diet, I would lose muscle.
So are you telling me that a healthy way of eating is to eat all the meat and fat I want? Just because it promotes muscle gain does not mean it is a healthy way to eat.

Oh, and white rice produces nearly the same insulin spike as pure sugar.
Which is a good reason that when I eat rice, I eat organic unbleached brown rice. It tastes way better anyway.

Mercury said:
I don't understand why there's a lot of anger with Atkins diet.
For some reason you don't get people getting angry about the general terrible diets in The UK and USA.
Says who? Did you read my post?

It's not a fad, it's been around for 30 or 40 years. Before that low carb diets were even around at the start of the 20th century.
It has only become popular recently. And I can guarantee you it will be thrown out fairly soon. It is a fad.

Why is it so bad?
What do you think people were eating before things like bread and sugar were discovered?
There was a time when most diets consisted of just meat, fruit, and the vegetables that were aroundavailable at the time.
In the 20th century we suddenly had mass production of all the processed carb foods that are a main factor to death in the western world.
Are you telling me that bread and sugar are recent discoveries? I think not. Bread has been around for a REALLY long time, and so has sugar. Maybe not refined sugar like you find in the stores, but sugar none the less. However, you did hit the key point. PROCESSED FOODS. That's the problem, not carbohydrates. There's so much trash in processed food and so little nutritional value left, no wonder we are such an obese society!

IMO, whole organic foods are the way to go.

So Atkins is a quick fix?....Good.
That's the lazy attitude I'm talking about. That's what our whole society is built on. Quick fixes, the easy way out, not working. LAZINESS!!

People can then just get rid of the fat they want, THEN concentrate on tailoring a good diet that is tailored to what they want to do.
How many people actually do that? Maybe if the person is extremely obese, Atkins diet might be a way to remedy that quickly and at least get the person's weight down to a tolerable level, and then start on a good diet. But this diet is NOT GOOD for the average or slightly overweight person. And the majority of people that get to their "goal weight" end up trashing themselves all over again because they go back to eating terribly.

If anything starts going wrong with Atkins, like you don't feel too good, or your cholestorol levels are too high,...you can always stop it. It's not going to kill you as soon as you start it.
I know DLD lost about 20 lbs on Atins diet, but he said he felt terrible, and he felt like the weight he lost was valuable weight, not just extra fat. He's now eating healthily and exercising (very important!) and he's lost an additional 19 lbs from that and he feels great! THAT is why Atkins diet is no good for you. You can eat healthily and feel a whole lot better, and still lose weight, and most importantly, you can actually be HEALTHY!!
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
831
Likes
2
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#18
9 Cyclops 9 I assume by reading your post that you are a doctor and you are qualified to make the statements that you are making? I have tried the low carb diet. It works fast and (for me) I do not feel that the weight lost was unhealthy at all. I never felt better when on the diet.

I have had malignant hypertension for several years and am currently on 5 perscription meds for it. However when i am low carbing my blood pressure comes down close to normal. So according to you I am killing myself for getting my blood pressure under control?

Some of us work more than one job and can not afford the time to work out at the gym. Try working some of my 18-20 hour days and then go "exercise". Watch who you call lazy dude. You do NOT know what goes on in other peoples lives. If the low carb is "bad " for you, fine , leave it alone, but quit knocking what works for others. Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist and developed the diet for people with hypertension. I have also listened to chemists that concur wholeheartedly that it is safe and effective.
 
9

9cyclops9

Guest
|
"Low Carb Atkins Diet"
#19
C-Guy said:
9 Cyclops 9 I assume by reading your post that you are a doctor and you are qualified to make the statements that you are making? I have tried the low carb diet. It works fast and (for me) I do not feel that the weight lost was unhealthy at all. I never felt better when on the diet.

I have had malignant hypertension for several years and am currently on 5 perscription meds for it. However when i am low carbing my blood pressure comes down close to normal. So according to you I am killing myself for getting my blood pressure under control?

Some of us work more than one job and can not afford the time to work out at the gym. Try working some of my 18-20 hour days and then go "exercise". Watch who you call lazy dude. You do NOT know what goes on in other peoples lives. If the low carb is "bad " for you, fine , leave it alone, but quit knocking what works for others. Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist and developed the diet for people with hypertension. I have also listened to chemists that concur wholeheartedly that it is safe and effective.
Ok, granted I made some blanket statements about people. I didn't mean everyone. I meant that the majority of Americans are lazy. And you know that's true. And no I'm not a doctor, but I do come from a medical family. My dad, two of his brothers, and my grandfather are all docs, my mom is a nurse, my soon to be father-in-law is a doctor, and his wife is a nurse. The unanimous opinion of all these medical professionals is that the Atkins diet is not a healthy diet. And granted, it is beneficial for people, such as yourself, who have malignant hypertension. But I don't think it should be THE definitive fat-loss program. Because not everyone who is overweight has malignant hypertension. If it helps that condition, the great, I support it. But I don't support it as the "lose weight to get in shape for summer FAST" type of diet.

And I also understand that not everyone can afford (or has time to) a gym membership . I'm one of those people too. Gyms in Boston ain't cheap and I'm a college student. I do bodyweight-only exercises in my apartment and I run in the evening. But I understand that still not everyone has the ability to do this, and I definitely respect you for working those long days and you aren't one of the people I'm calling lazy. But you have to admit most Americans really are lazy.
 
Top Bottom