Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#1
Just like the title says, what is the best perscription or non-perscription anxiety medicine available?

-ItsElectric
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2003
Messages
772
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#3
Paxil, hands down. Of course, the sexual side effects can also be terrible depending on the person(I was on it and would last 3+ hours during sex).
 

bigbutnottoo

Active member
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
1,672
Likes
1
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#4
Originally posted by Spektrum
Paxil, hands down. Of course, the sexual side effects can also be terrible depending on the person(I was on it and would last 3+ hours during sex).
My girlfriend, who was a psychologist and wanted me to get help in the first place, hated the side effects, and didnt believe me when I told her it was the medicine. Damn bitch.
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#5
Originally posted by Spektrum
Paxil, hands down. Of course, the sexual side effects can also be terrible depending on the person(I was on it and would last 3+ hours during sex).
I'm curious as to what yo actually do different while on anxiety medicine? Are you more talkative and not afraid to be in big social situations etc..?

-ItsElectric
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2003
Messages
772
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#6
Originally posted by ItsElectric
I'm curious as to what yo actually do different while on anxiety medicine? Are you more talkative and not afraid to be in big social situations etc..?

-ItsElectric
I'm pretty much a basketcase, lol. Just kidding, I suffered from social anxiety disorder and mood swings so my doc put me on it. I'm on effexor now, which is similar to paxil. I feel that paxil was better on treating my anxiety though. Anyway, I was much more outgoing and it helped out in all kinds of social situations.
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#7
Originally posted by Spektrum
I'm pretty much a basketcase, lol. Just kidding, I suffered from social anxiety disorder and mood swings so my doc put me on it. I'm on effexor now, which is similar to paxil. I feel that paxil was better on treating my anxiety though. Anyway, I was much more outgoing and it helped out in all kinds of social situations.
exxxxxxxxcceeeeeeeeeeeeellent *rubs hands together schemingly*

So what were the side effects, if any, that you noticed? (I've looked them up by the way, just wondering from someone who's taken it). Also, what was your dosage, we appear to be about the same size, but of course that would depend on how extreme the case is.

-ItsElectric
 

DLD

doublelongdaddy
Staff member
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
104,638
Likes
838
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#8
There are really 3 classifications of "anxiety" medication. that I have used 1.) Benzodiazepines, 2.) SSRI and Anti-Depressants, 3.) Anti-Psychotics.

Out of these 3 the fastest and most effective is the Benzo's. Along with being the fastest they are also highly addictive. Drugs that fall under this classification are considered narcotics and should only be used in extreme situations. Valium, Calonopin, Xanex are a few of the more popular Benzodiazepines. I resort to using this for things like traveling long distance or any high anxiety situation. I use them maybe twice in a years time.

For long-term therapy SSRI's and Anti-Depression medications are very effective. SSRI being the acronym for Serotonin Specific Reuptake Inhibitor. The function of this medication is to meter the serotonin levels the brain uses. Getting up to a therapeutic dose can take up to 8 weeks but in my opinion it is time well invested. There are no addictive properties to SSRI medications. There are side effects that may occur including sexual dysfunction, which I can vouch for:), but all in all these are very powerful, effective medication. The more popular medications that fall under this classification are PROZAC, ZOLOFT, WELLBUTRIN, PAXIL, among many others. These medications all have the same basic function with different degrees of side effects. I am on PROZAC that is notorious for sexual dysfunction but I have been lucky...(I lost allot of sex drive but I am a complete pervert so it balanced things out:D)

The last groups are called anti-psychotics. Hearing the name brings initial anxiety in itself but this group of medication is highly under-rated and extremely effective especially when used in conjunction with an anti-depressant. Older drugs in this class are notorious for their terrible side effects. The most popular anti-psychotic prior to new drugs that have appeared during this decade was HALDOL. During the past 10 years many new anti-psychotics have appeared on the market. One stands alone as far as I'm concerned. This medication is called SEROQUEL. SEROQUEL is relatively new but its functions are extremely powerful. I take SEROQUEL in conjunction with PROZAC and this combination is awesome. The wonderful thing about SEROQUEL is its ability to work in the same manner as a Benzodiazepine without the addictive side effects. I can have an anxiety attack and take 75mg PRN and be calm within 15 minutes. This mimics the function of Benzos but there are no narcotic properties to the medication. The other wonderful thing about SEROQUEL is it can be used in higher doses to promote excellent sleep habits.

The best thing to do is find a psychiatrist that you really trust and have them try different approaches to your needs. Do a ton of research and learn about the available drugs. And remember that medication in itself is a supplement to good cognitive therapy.
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#9
Wow thanks for the post DLD! Very informative and helpful. For the long term SSRI's, how is this helpful? After a while or so and I come off the pills does this mean that I'll be much more social and have less anxiety?

-ItsElectric
 

DLD

doublelongdaddy
Staff member
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
104,638
Likes
838
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#10
Originally posted by ItsElectric
Wow thanks for the post DLD! Very informative and helpful. For the long term SSRI's, how is this helpful? After a while or so and I come off the pills does this mean that I'll be much more social and have less anxiety?

-ItsElectric
SSRI medications are designed for long term use. Depending on what issues you have and how severe they are you can use a drug like PROZAC for 6 months to 6 years or longer. As I said above medications are only a supplement and for someone to really become well again they would need to work on their cognitive skills. Therapy is more important than the medication in the sense that during the time you are medicated you can make some big mental steps to change. Theoretically , when you discontinue the medication you will have learned new coping skills and cognitive changes that will allow you to live a better life. So medications are really a helping hand.

Some people do not need medication to promote good cognitive change...they are able to seek therapy and apply it with little effort. But for people like me I need the medication in order to seek the therapy. Behavioral health has many levels of severity and a good, modern psychiatrist can determine your needs by testing you. A very popular test is called the DSM3. This test gives the psychiatrist an arsenal of information about the patient and helps him determine which steps should be taken medication and therapy wise.

I have battled OCD for many years. I have taken many different medications which have greatly helped me but any solid changes I have made have been on a cognitive level..
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#11
Originally posted by doublelongdaddy
SSRI medications are designed for long term use. Depending on what issues you have and how severe they are you can use a drug like PROZAC for 6 months to 6 years or longer. As I said above medications are only a supplement and for someone to really become well again they would need to work on their cognitive skills. Therapy is more important than the medication in the sense that during the time you are medicated you can make some big mental steps to change. Theoretically , when you discontinue the medication you will have learned new coping skills and cognitive changes that will allow you to live a better life. So medications are really a helping hand.

Some people do not need medication to promote good cognitive change...they are able to seek therapy and apply it with little effort. But for people like me I need the medication in order to seek the therapy. Behavioral health has many levels of severity and a good, modern psychiatrist can determine your needs by testing you. A very popular test is called the DSM3. This test gives the psychiatrist an arsenal of information about the patient and helps him determine which steps should be taken medication and therapy wise.

I have battled OCD for many years. I have taken many different medications which have greatly helped me but any solid changes I have made have been on a cognitive level..
Yeah, but I figure with the psychology involved, if I go out and chat people up for say 6 months or so and then come off the medicine, I'll convince myself that there's no problem because I was doing it so easily before. I believe this would be great with the dating/seduction methods as well. I'm doing it to be more social, have much less anxiety (I used to be horrible, but have made a few steps forward) and just for my overall well being.

I don't want to be scared of people my entire life because they are the one thing that will always, always, ALWAYS be around.

"a person is most powerful when they recognize their flaws."

-ItsElectric
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#12
One last question, I suffer from some depression I admit, but what I'm wanting is something to help me cure my anxiety, I used to have horrible anxiety and would love to get on the road to fix it. Is Paxil the best for it because it's looking promising, just want to make sure before I take the dive.

-ItsElectric
 

bigbutnottoo

Active member
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
1,672
Likes
1
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#13
I recommend trying Celexa. It had similar results as Paxil but without side effects. My doc put me on Celexa and a half dosage of an anti-seizure med (not sure why, though)..I think "neurontin"


If you are talking about social anxiety disorder (which was misleading since your topic was "anxiety" when there are different kinds).. I would be the guy with experience in that. It started when I was 13 and I stopped going to school. i have since gone to and dropped out of 4 different colleges. i just cannot attend class. Since I was laid off, I stay in my room 24/7 except to go to the bank, post office. When I was 13 theyput me in a mental hospital because the doctors didnt know what the fuck theywere doing. They put me there just because I was scared to go to school. That is my big secret. The place is pretty famous and the town where it is known as the place where all the crazy people are. So sometimes I am around people that make jokes about it (they dont know I was there).

I believe I have discovered that social anxiety disorder is not a proper diagnosis for myself. I believe I have Schizoid Personality Disorder primarily, with depression and social phobia ( the depression being directly caused by my failures of social phobia). I dont even know why i Penis Enlargement, considering I will probably never have sex again, but oh well.

Anyway, there is really only one "cure" for any of this shit, and its cognitive therapy. If you are going to take meds, please take therapy as well. That is the real help. You have to change the way you think, not necesarily the way your body acts. And if you cant do it on your own, someone can help you. its not very effective for me because schizoids cant really deal with people so therapists dont know how to deal with me and I make them feel bad about themselves. but if you are relatively normal and able to adjust, please seek cognitive-behavorial therapy.
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#14
Well, then I suppose I'm talking about a 'Social Anxiety Medicine' sorry about that. I feel like I can do this myself, and don't feel like forking out big bucks to a therapist. I can do it, cause I'm the man! Well, I will be anyways. ;)

-ItsElectric
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#15
Here's some research I found:

Current research suggests that the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), especially phenelzine, are most highly effective medications for treating social phobias. In studies, about 70% of subjects improve significantly within four weeks. Occasionally, however, a social phobic can experience an exaggerated response to an MAOI and become too talkative, outgoing or socially uninhibited. In that case the prescribing physician will lower the medication dosage or stop it altogether.

http://www.anxieties.com/index.php?nic=med-intro

Any thoughts on this?

-ItsElectric
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
288
Likes
0
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#16
MAOI's are very restrictive. You cant take this or eat that. Not much you can do besides take the MAOI.

8
 

bigbutnottoo

Active member
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
1,672
Likes
1
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#17
Originally posted by ItsElectric
Well, then I suppose I'm talking about a 'Social Anxiety Medicine' sorry about that. I feel like I can do this myself, and don't feel like forking out big bucks to a therapist. I can do it, cause I'm the man! Well, I will be anyways. ;)

-ItsElectric
Um, If you can do it yourself, why are you asking about medicine?

If you are going to spend money on medicine, you canafford a therapist. its betteruse of the money. Or Both preferrably. Unless you are going to give yourself cognitive therapy. But hey if you want to be a drug addict the rest of your life, skip the therapy and shell out money on drugs.
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
134
Likes
0
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#18
We all cope with stress at different times and with various intensities. No two people are exactly identical. I think some herbal supplement stuff or anti-depressents or anti-anxiety would work with exercise. Some people have too potent anxiety that does need to be addressed via professional help. Others can retrain themselves by life style changes, etc............

I think GABA and St John's puts a more affordable and accessable way to address some of these problems. If you lack insurance these are a possible solution to your problems. Don't forget the stigma of depression or anxiety. People don't want that to follow them, so they really avoid the doctor and the medical profession at all costs.:s
 

ItsElectric

Active member
Joined
Jun 4, 2003
Messages
1,910
Likes
2
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#19
Originally posted by bigbutnottoo
Um, If you can do it yourself, why are you asking about medicine?

If you are going to spend money on medicine, you canafford a therapist. its betteruse of the money. Or Both preferrably. Unless you are going to give yourself cognitive therapy. But hey if you want to be a drug addict the rest of your life, skip the therapy and shell out money on drugs.
I'm saying I can do it myself, because I am already trying to take a step in the right direction. The medicine I've found is 40mg of paxil or so, and there are 90 pills for $90. I can split those up so it would be 6 months worth of Paxil for $90. Not really that expensive.

I'm going to make myself do the things that I was too scared to do before. On that site I gave earlier it lists steps you should take while on anxiety medicine, depression medicine etc.. to get back in the right direction.

I also don't plan on sitting there popping a Paxil or something everytime I feel like I should. I don't understand why I would become a drug addict at all on something that isn't addictive, and on something that doesn't give a "high".

-ItsElectric
 

bigbutnottoo

Active member
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
1,672
Likes
1
|
"Best prescription/non prescription anxiety medicine"
#20
Originally posted by SnakePlissken
. Don't forget the stigma of depression or anxiety. People don't want that to follow them, so they really avoid the doctor and the medical profession at all costs.:s
It's pretty mainstream now. However, that s a good especially in the case of scoial anxiety disorder where the client is less likely to seek help.. BUT, if you are really going to let a stigma keep you down and keep your quality of life shit just because of what some one else might think, you really DO need help.


Also,I want to clarify my previous post which I think may come off a little rude. What I was trying to get across is: If you are looking to spend money on meds, you shouldnt discount therapy because of the cost,especially when there are low cost providers.
 

Members online

Top Bottom